The Houston Airport System's Aviation Club Supports Future Generations of Aviation and Aerospace Leaders
The Houston Airport System (HAS) Aviation Club was founded in 2012 to help future generations to enter aviation and aerospace careers.
The Aviation Club sponsors two area high school chapters: Sterling High School and Carnegie Vanguard High School.
During the two-hour sessions with the Aviation Club, students are meeting on a monthly basis to participate in learning, enrichment and mentoring activities.
The new program has the following criteria for students:
1. Membership is open to HISD high school students from Sterling High School or Carnegie Vanguard High School campuses in grades 9-12.
2. Students must be in good standing with a minimum GPA of 2.5.
3. Students must maintain satisfactory attendance at meetings throughout the year.
4. Students have a desire and passion for exploring post secondary educational and career opportunities in aerospace or aviation.
Numerous community groups accepted the invitation from the Houston Airport System to participate and support the new Aviation Club. The list of sponsors includes the following:
• Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
• Texas Southern University
• San Jacinto College
• Lone Star College
• Houston Independent School District (College and Career Readiness)
• Sterling High School
• Carnegie Vanguard High School
• Bay Area Houston Economic Partnership
• NASA - Johnson Space Center
• City of Houston
One of the ultimate goals of the new program is to build a new workforce to accept the challenges for tomorrow’s aviation and aerospace jobs. Houston continues to lead the nation in the creation of new jobs during a difficult economy. The effort to groom students for a bright future is essential to a strong Houston.
To view Frequently Asked Questions about the Aviation Club, Click Here.
If you're a 2013/2014 high school senior and are interested in a scholarship, Click Here.
If you would like to view a brochure that provides detailed information about the Aviation Club, Click Here.
The Houston Airports Aviation Club was recently recognized by Airports Council International (ACI) for outstanding achievements within its marketing and communications efforts. To learn more about the award received, Click Here.